There are thousands of books and articles with suggestions and tips on how to write a college entrance essay. Why write one more article on this topic? Well, the increase of competition for better colleges boosts the role of essays. Beside, fashion changes with the time flow. Old approaches and tricks do not impress announcement officers. Therefore, this article will briefly stay upon some current critical aspects of successful essay writing.
To write a college entry essay effectively, it is necessary to accomplish two goals:
- Show a college admission officer that you are going to be a worthy student.
- Demonstrate your preparation for college-level work.
To accomplish these goals you should:
- Write about something you know well, something that actually happened to you and changed you in a positive way. A reader of your essay should gain favorable impression about you, so that he likes you.
- Choose a topic that interests you and shows your academic abilities. It could be a good idea to use a story you told your friends that kept their attention.
- Avoid "global", "clever" and popular topics unless you have something really new and fresh to tell about them. Otherwise, whatever you write will look like repeating common thoughts and ideas. Remember that your story should have a sound plot and be entertaining.
Undoubtedly, choosing a good topic is important to write a wrought college entrance essay, but without engaging writing style your paper will be dull and tedious. Try to give specific and even naive details. It will make your story livelier and win the favor of college admissions officers. The flow of your essay should be smooth and logical. Overall, avoid passive voice; it is more appropriate in scientific papers. Keep the sentences short and unambiguous. Do not try to seem smart and clever, be yourself. Use synonyms instead of repeating the same words, except you deal with science. Avoid using standard phrases and clichés.
Structure your Essay in a Proper Way:
- Introduction is a very important element of a college entrance essay. It should give the main idea of your essay, entice the interest of the readers, and create an intrigue. Often, it is easier to write the introduction at the end.
- In the body of your college entry essay, show the ability to prove your point. Avoid ambiguity, skepticism, and uncertainty. Stick to the idea given in the introduction and develop it with the help of vivid and specific facts, events, quotations, examples, and reasons. Everything you write must be aimed at proving a single point or thesis.
- Conclusion presents an opportunity to give final arguments in support of the thesis. It should create a lasting impression and accomplish two goals of the college admissions essay.
Admissions officers, counselors, and teachers agree that the most important criteria to write personal college entrance essays are correctness, organization, specific evidence, and an individual style. Do your best to show that you are good at all that and good luck with your admission to college! …