Though you may have a dream job in mind, it may not be the perfect one for you. Before you fall for one or the other jobs you have in mind, it is best to make a self assessment. Self assessment will be able to tell you whether to pursue your dream job or choose something else for which you are made. Self assessment is the process of gathering information about you in a scientific manner and applying it in the career planning process.
Once you have completed your self assessment, you will have a clear idea of goals you want to attain, the industry that will best suit your mind and whether you are undecided and confused. This will save you from switching jobs or career too often. It will also help you lay a solid foundation for future pursuit of a career. Self assessment can be done any time – as someone fresh out of college looking for the first job or as an experienced individual planning a career change.
Self Assessment – Points to Ponder
Here is what a typical a self assessment will be like – Taking stock of your values and interests, your personality and traits and your aptitude for a particular profession.
- Here are some qualities and expectation you need to decide upon:
- Appraise the level of autonomy you want at your work
- How much you want to help individuals or groups
- Whether you want prestige at your workplace
- Your perceptions about a secure job
- How good you are working in a team
- How much you are willing to participate in social activities
- Your idea about receiving recognition at workplace
- What you consider as good salary and perks
- What you wish to accomplish at the job
- How much of skill you possess and how you want to improve upon it
- Your willingness to take up leadership or managerial roles
- How much you want to influence others and accept responsibilities
Self Assessment Tools
There are many tools available in the internet to do a self-assessment. They are mostly objective-type questions you need to answer honestly. At the end of a test you will receive a score. Some tools will even suggest the best industry you fit in. If you want a professional appraisal to be made, you should meet a career counselor. They will conduct a test and come out with a result showing what is best for you. They will also be able to tell whether you are fit for taking up a job or taking up self-employment.
Self Assessment Skill Appraisal for Career Change
If you are looking towards career change, and have some experience you may want a skill evaluation made. Skill evaluations cover the following aspects – basic skills, management skills, people skills, system skills and technical skills. Each one is a specialty in itself. Here again there are many tools available in the Internet which you can use extensively. We suggest you take tests at more than one website and average it so that you are closer to accuracy.
Once you have completed a self-assessment you are ready to search for a job. Although you may want to apply to individual companies, a better option is to consult a job agency , or a recruiter who acts on behalf of an employer. The advantage of using job agencies is that they have jobs ready. The little thing that you need to do is choose one, or let the agency decide for you. Your agency's choice should work better because they will be able to look at your visits from a neutral angle.