Image visits are one of the most important steps in the college search and selection process. They are the only way to get a true feel for a campus and find out whether it is the right fit for your student. Image tours help students to find out about the admissions policies, programs, and campus culture.
Here are 5 reasons why college visits are important for college admissions:
1. College visits are a great way to check out potential schools and light a motivational fire under prospective applicants. They also help to get students excited about going to college. A college visit can also help students understand what the college admissions process is all about and what is required of them in order to be successful. There is also no substitution for a personal visit to help students gain a better focus for their applications.
2. The more colleges students see, the easier it will be for them to know what they like and do not like about different kinds of schools. Image trips are a critical part of coming up with a balanced list of schools to apply to. They also make it easier for students to make informed college decisions based on what they have personally observed.
3. A college visit demonstrates to a school that students are interested enough to come and find out whenever the college is right for them. This is something that schools consider when they are making college admissions decisions. They want to know what kind of contact students have had with their school. Have they met with a college representative, had an off campus interview, visited with someone at a college fair or most importantly, come for a college visit?
4. Students should not believe everything they see in a view book or on a college website. Colleges are pros at marketing themselves with glossy photos and flashy DVDs. A college tour helps students find out about any unexpected surprises that might not be obvious without a college tour. Sometimes the surrounding area is not what students thought it would be or safety is a real concern. These issues are only evident when you take time to tour the campus.
5. College visits help students to make up their mind when it is time to decide on a final college decision. Hopefully, students have written down the pros and cons of the schools that they have seen and are able to weigh these up as they finalize their college choice. It is most important that students choose a school that is the right fit for them. It is not the name of the school, but the experience you have as an undergraduate that will contribute the most to a successful future.
On a college visit, students should take the time to stand in the middle of a campus and look around and ask, "Could I see myself as a student here? Is this where I would like to spend the next four years of my life? " Your answers will be very revealing and hopefully lead you to the school that is right for you.