Data science is giving too many opportunities today in the professional world. As the number of business concerns using data analytics is on the rise, so is the number of jobs in this field. Last year the analytics industry recorded more than 16,000 fresher candidates and this will increase in the coming years.
Data science deals with enormous amounts of raw data. Data scientists wrangle the given data and find meaningfulful insights from it. These insights are used for taking strategic decisions.
WHO ARE DATA SCIENTISTS?
Data scientists are those professionals who turn masses of unstructured data into analyzable results. They find patterns and trends which are hidden in them. They usually use various software specifically organized for this task and find inferces which can be easily explained to people in the organization who does not belong to the IT realm.
They usually indulge in experimentation and research to find new technological solutions for the analytics process. They come up with various models and algorithms which in turn help business concerns to face the new daily challenges.
ROLE OF A DATA SCIENTIST
As a data scientist, one may have to take part in various activities that are involved in the entire procedure of data science. Just because data science has many areas to focus on like data collection, mining, cleaning, visualizing, interpreting that one can say that data scientists too can have many roles like data engineer, architect, programmer etc.
Some of the responsibilities of this profession are:
- Ask questions related to the industry trend and conduct research.
- Extract and obtain data from various sources like web, databases, media, cloud etc.
- Clean the data from any kind of anomalies and gaps that may become a hindrance in analysis.
- Explore the data thoroughly to find all the hidden patterns and trends which can help to make the data more understandable.
- Use various statistical tools and machine learning to prepare the data for analytical use in real-world problems.
- Devise and design algorithms which will use the data patterns as their requisite.
- Communicate and present the data preferences to the management which can help in taking a decision.
HOW TO BECOME A DATA SCIENTIST?
To become a data scientist one need to have mathematical, statistics, programming and communication skills. On top of that, a person should have the curiosity to ask market relevant questions and should have inquisitiveness to search and find data from all directions possible.
Apart from all this, a data scientist must have skills relevant in using tools and techniques of analytics. Some of them are:
- Mathematics- linear algebra and calculus.
- Statistics- statistical models, probability and hypothesis techniques.
- Database management – SQL and NoSQL
- Data mining and cleaning
- Data visualization tools- ggplot, d3.js etc.
- Reporting techniques
- Python, R, SAS and their libraries.
- Java, C / C ++
- Hadoop, Apache Spark, and Flink
- Industry knowledge
- Communication skills
- Analytical problem solving and decision making
Need for data scientists is in many sectors like telecommunications, E-commerce, finance and banking, agriculture, research and development, insurance, retail, manufacturing and many more.