Faced with Redundancy?
With the announcement of the spending cuts for 2011, the government is expected to declare more job cuts within the public sector, leading to an increase in redundancies.
There are a number of things you can prepare if you are one of the ones facing redundancy. Planning ahead is very advisable. If you are sure that it is likely you’re the one facing redundancy then ensure that you research your rights thoroughly – employers are legally obliged to follow strict redundancy procedures.
Additionally it is advisable that you plan your path correctly. Although redundancy is a tough thing to deal with, don’t despair as it could provide you with that opportunity to develop some new skills and gain those qualifications you’ve always dreamed of. What’s more, taking on another qualification could also make you stand out from other potential job candidates in what is such a current competitive job market.
Improve Your Skills with Online Distance Learning
Another black cloud that looms is the rise in university fees, which could reach to a staggering £9,000 per year! Alternatively online distance learning has many benefits and is not as near as expensive. Those who are facing redundancy may want to consider a professional qualification to raise your potential career prospects. Or others may wish to develop vocational skills such as beauty therapy.
Online distance learning provides a number of learning opportunities, with an array of accredited courses available for you to choose from, including certificates, NVQ’s, Bachelor Degrees, Masters Degrees and many more. Such courses include biochemistry, business accounting, marketing and an abundance of health and beauty courses like holistic healing and hand reflexology.
In comparison to traditional classroom based learning, online distance learning has a number of advantages as follows:
- Study when it suits you, at any time of the day from the comfort of your own home. Perfect if you also have children to raise and a busy live outside of work.
- Work at your own pace. Unlike traditional classroom paper based study, you can work when you feel like it as there are no specific deadlines and no scheduled class rooms to attend.
- Save money on transport and accommodation. With online distance learning you will save money on transport as you don’t even have to leave the house!
- You get your own personal tutor. You can contact your personal tutor at any time of the day if you are struggling or need that additional advice.
- Many online distance colleges have a wealth of resources which you can access online. Download notes, journals and electronic books which you can access 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
To complete an online distance learning course all you need is a standard web browser and a PC or laptop.
So, once you have got over the shock of being made redundant, just think of the opportunities that are available to you. See it as an opportunity to learn a new skill or study for that course you have always wanted to complete but have never been able to find the time. What’s more many people who have faced redundancy have actually gone on to open their own business.